Partner Executive Partner of Holland & Knight’s Mexico City
- Structured Finance
- Corporate Services
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Services
- International Litigation and Arbitration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Investment Funds
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Compliance Services
- Renewable and Alternative Energy
- International and Cross Border Transactions
- Latin American Investigations
- Latin America Practice
- Mexico Practice
- Banking Law
- Risk and Crisis Management
- American University, Washington College of Law, LL.M., magna cum laude
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, J.D., with honors
Boris Otto is the executive partner of Holland & Knight’s Mexico City office, advising Mexican and foreign companies and financial institutions on all matters related to finance transactions. Mr. Otto is experienced in structured finance transactions, including domestic and cross–border securitizations involving several different assets and future flows such as mortgage loans, consumer loans and car loans, as well as securitizations of states and municipalities backed by federal contributions and payroll taxes, toll road and bridge toll fees, among others.
Mr. Otto advises clients on initial and secondary public offerings of stocks, corporate bonds, sovereign and sub-sovereign bonds, derivatives and synthetic transactions. This includes exchange and interest rate swaps, synthetic securitizations, collateralized debt obligations (CDO), credit default swaps and total return swaps.
He is well-versed in local and cross-border structured bank financing backed by diverse assets, including hotels, real estate developments, shopping malls, office buildings and hospitals. Mr. Otto’s practice includes the acquisition, sale and financing of infrastructure projects.
In addition, he advises clients on all aspects of corporate organizations, mergers, acquisitions and privatizations, as well as debt restructuring for private companies, states and municipalities. Mr. Otto counsels a wide range of clients in the structuring, negotiation and implementation of investment funds and private equity deals. His experience includes the representation of public and private funds and fund of funds, among others.
Mr. Otto is experienced in coordinating commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings, and has acted as an arbitrator in forums established under Chapter XIX of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
The Sociedad Hipotecaria Federal (SHF) retained Mr. Otto to prepare the first set of form documents to implement the first mortgage-backed securitization in Mexico. He also advised the National Banking and Securities Commission in the amendment of the Mexican Securities Law to delineate the characteristics of the certificado bursátil. He provided legal counsel to the SHF in the design and implementation of the BORHIS, which is the mortgage-backed security used to implement all the mortgage-backed securitizations in Mexico. Mr. Otto has participated in the drafting of several finance laws and regulations including the regulations for the participation of monoliners in the capital markets and the regulations for the Mexican real estate investment trusts – REITS (Fibras). He has also been actively involved in the legal amendments required to implement such transactions.
Honors & Awards
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate, Leading Lawyer, Banking, 2016
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Capital Markets, 2015, 2016; Banking and Finance, 2016; Energy and Natural Resources, 2016
- Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) Approved Attorney, Corporate/M&A, 2015, 2016
- Guide to the World’s Leading Structured Finance and Securitisation Lawyers, Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, 2015
- Chambers Latin America – Latin America’s Leading Lawyers for Businessguide, Capital Markets, 2009-2015
- Chambers Latin America – Latin America’s Leading Lawyers for Businessguide, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2013-2015
- Who’s Who Legal 100: Capital Markets, 2014
- Chambers Global – The World’s Leading Lawyers for Businessguide, Capital Markets, 2014, 2015
- Mexico’s Leading Lawyers for Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Chambers Latin America, 2013, 2014
- Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers, Latinvex,2014, 2015
- Capital Markets: Mexico Star Individual, Chambers Global, 2013
- Top Structured Finance Practice in Mexico, Lawyers World, 2011, 2012 Leading Lawyer in Banking and Capital Markets, IFLR1000, 2012
- International Financial Law Review’s(IFLR) guide to the Leading Structured Finance and Securitization Lawyers, 2009
- 30 Most Promising People in Their 30s, Expansion Magazine, 2004